Saturday, October 06, 2007

Show and Well at Deaf Day 1998



J A N U A R Y / F E B R U A R Y - 1 9 9 8

Show and Well At Deaf Day

by Debra Luongo and Peter Tang
Fremont Middle School


Las Vegas, Nevada





Deaf Day exhibition shows all kinds of information about deaf
people
Student Frank Young sets a "Deaf alarm clock."Stephanie Herrera and Ashley DeSimone check the sign-up schedule to see
when the next
visitors arrive.



There are 1500 students in our school and only 30 of us are deaf and hard of hearing. We wanted to educate
our hearing peers. We wanted to teach them that we are not stupid. We can do anything that a hearing person can do.


With help from our teachers—Elizabeth Adamson, Natalie Grupido, and Gary Hand—we set up the Deaf Exposition Room. We displayed many
things there. We had the history of the TTY, which included a real first 1967 TTY. We had a table display of modern ttys that
people could try. We also had a bed with various vibrating and light alarms, close-captioned TV, and videos showing Deaf history,
sign language and Deaf Mosaic. We had a "thunderchair," which is a chair hooked up to a television and radio so that people can
feel sounds.


We had lots of books on Deaf people, Deaf history, Deaf arts, Deaf magazines, and Deaf sports. Also we had a Deaf wall set up in
the cafeteria. On this wall, we put all the successful Deaf people that we researched.
We also put up our own "Deaf Myths and Facts." Then we put up our own "Deaf quotes" about why we like to be Deaf and to use sign
language.


People enjoyed the Deaf Exposition Room. For two weeks last fall, classes of hearing students, newspaper writers, and TV reporters
came to visit.


"I enjoyed teaching the hearing students about Deaf culture," said Brian Lazenby, eigth grade.


"I like to teach signs," agreed Archie Gatbonton and Jocelyn Mclennan.


"I liked...using the thunderchair!" said Peter Tang.


We worked hard as a team to teach others about our unique world. We are proud of ourselves, the work we did, the success we
experienced, and our unique Deaf world.


Darling...,

This is a long time ago when I was a seven grade in the middle school with the deaf students, as two deaf teachers and the hearing teacher. I've remembered that there's hearing students were too interesting and learning about the deaf culture, as plus they think the deaf people can do it! Yep! See, I can do post this one like that what I mean however you've seen them as well as in the whole world. There's some hatred kids in school, and they threated me such a bad hurtful. I'd NEVER forget what happen to the deaf girl got hit by a hearing boy during after school. It was a horrible situation. I felt like that there's the world is hatred us so much, but the God created us for a very good reason! I thought I would like to post this Show and Well at Deaf Day in 1998. I am sure you guys would enjoy to learn more stuff as much fun though.
Don't forget that you're ROCK! I've known that you don't know me very well, but I just want to cheer you up and I like to see you feel too comfortable around while you're walking on the land.


Sincerely,
Braz

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Wow. This is awesome post up on internet! Yup I wrote these! Its really wonderful to see these on internet. Wish there were more of these pictures on the things we showed around. It was sure fun showing kids in our school. We had a great time.

10:31 AM

 
Blogger Nat said...

Well, well, well...guess who this is? It's your favorite Deaf (not OLD) teacher, Natalie Grupido! You kids rocked then and I'm deafinitely sure you rock now!

Stay smart!
Nat :)

7:41 AM

 
Blogger Braz said...

What a surprise! Glad to see you on my blog and thanks for the comment!

I hope if you have any private message through online like Twitter or Facebook. Let me know, okay?

Leave a comment under my blog on here.

Rockin' on!

Braz

8:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home